Monday, September 3, 2007

Horseneck/Gooseberry, Windsurfed, SW, 18-28, Jeff, Ron & a few others, 5.2/RealWind85

Waves Again! I finally got to try Jeff Bulls famous wave-sailing spot, sailing from Gooseberry Island out to the waves at Horseneck Beach. This is not a place I would want to sail without some local knowledge, of which Jeff, and his friend Ron, graciously shared. They really went out of their way to show me all the places to avoid. Thanks, guys! Nice, Nice Waves; These are real swell waves. None of the chop/wind-waves like at Mayflower, (although those are fun too). They are spaced far apart and when they get big enough the water smooths out in between them. The rocks are real too, and plentiful, but there were about 5 or 6 sailors out there avoiding the boulders.
New and improved wave-sailing stance; I think I had a breakthrough with my stance. It's as simple as this- use a waist harness, shorten the lines, maybe raise the boom a hair. The result is that I stand more upright and can hold my arms and legs straighter, keep my butt dryer and generally experience a lot less fatigue. By the end I had everything tuned perfectly and I just didn't want to stop, even though everyone else had left a while ago. I finally took a wave-ride that brought me well inside of a surfer, and I had to fight my out again through the waves. I decided I should quit while I was mostly together. Boring Launch Details; I parked in the lot on the island, even though it was full when I got there. I had to wait about 15 minutes for a space to open up. At high tide the preferred launch spot is- from the broken concrete slab near the lot, go to the water and launch between the 2 big rocks that are very close together. At low tide you can come and go a little downwind where the rocks are frequent but smaller. At low tide don't sail too deep into the cove towards the causeway, rocks may be shallow. The rocky causeway is the wash up spot in the cove. It looks bad but the word is that it has some backwash, so it isn't as dangerous as it looks. I still don't want to go there. One huge rock marks the end of the cove and the beginning of Horseneck Beach. It is all sand on the other side of that rock. Upwind of the rock is one more submerged rock which can be an unpleasant surprise at low tide for a long fin. You may not see the rock but you can probably see the waves breaking over it, although I sailed, (nervously), near there and didn't see it. Wind strength is often significantly less as you get close to shore at Horseneck. Rig a little big. Wind is usually the average of reports from Beavertail and Neds Point. Best in SW, S?
Top Picture- Taking a ramp in the cove.
Mid Picture- Same spot at low tide, bigger swell.
Bottom Picture- Jeff and Ron near the large rock at the end of the cove.

0 comments: