Saturday, September 15, 2007

Horseneck, Windsurfed, NW, 5-28?, Gerry, 5.2/Carve123

Side-off wavesailing without the waves- The wind did exactly as predicted, (thanks to IWindsurf for the accurate forecast), but the waves didn't hold up their end of the bargain. They were 1 to 2 feet in the morning, at high tide, and we expected them to increase as the tide went out. Instead, they completely disappeared. Oh, well. Gerry and I had some nice flat water side-offshore sailing. Going with the wind- we started at Horseneck State Beach. It was a little gusty at first, so we took a few runs then decided to move our cars to the causeway and do a downwinder. Jeff gave us a ride back to our gear but he decided not to sail due to the absent waves and a cold that he is trying to kick. The wind increased and filled in as we started downwind, so even where we started from was getting pretty good. Down at the end of Horseneck the NW wind was pretty much sideshore, maybe a little cleaner. Overall, I was surprised that once the wind filled in it was more steady then I would have expected for a side to side-off wind. I was planing about 80% of the time. It could be pretty nice here with a NW wind and a swell coming in but I'll bet it doesn't happen all that often. Waist harness fixes everything? for a change Gerry and I were on the same sail size, 5.2., and we both seemed happy with the size. He almost always sails 1 meter larger than I do. Maybe it has something to due with the fact that I used a waist harness and Gerry used a seat harness? I was a teency overpowered at times but it was fun in the relatively flat water. I used the Carve 123 to get through the lulls more easily. It was a perfect set up for the conditions. Picture- looking at the launch on Gooseberry Island, and "the big rock", from the end of Horseneck Beach where we ended up.

0 comments: