Thursday, June 5, 2008

Candid Camera

I got some email activity this week about my picture turning up on page 6 of the latest New England Windsurfing Journal. What? I thought, I didn't send any pictures to the Journal. I decided that it might be a joke. I immediately started wracking my brain to remember if I'd had any embarrassing windsurfing moments lately that someone might have captured in pixels and sent to The Journal. Bathing suit hasn't fallen down in public... I haven't rammed anyone or anything with any windsurfing equipment... I haven't taken a pee break next to an electric fence. What could it be?

Well, my journal finally arrived and it turns out that it's a very nice picture, mid duck jibe, taken by Jean, accompanied by a really nice article about windsurfing at West Dennis on May 4th. What a kick! The article really captures the feel of a good, early morning session, getting up before sunrise because the sound of the wind howling outside is filtering into dreamland. It makes a great souvenir of a memorable session.

This is the picture in question. Jean sent it to me after the May 4th session and I put it on the blog in mini size. Then he sent it to the Journal, apparently, along with his article. Here it is full size.

West Dennis, May 4th, I didn't hit anyone

So now I've got all these ideas for embarrassing windsurfing related pictures that I could send to the Journal, bathing suit failure, electric fences, etc. I just need a subject. If you see me coming with a camera don't give it a second thought. There really aren't too many electric fences near sailing sites anyway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad my photo finally graduated from 'mini'...

This was my second article for NEWJ. Peter loves a good story, it always starts with me emailing some photos, and then he inevitably asks, "so tell me more about what happened that day?"

Guess I'm still kind of school -- black and white print that smears on your fingers -- though I consider my YouTube page a blog of sorts.

My 14-year-old son had a great session on an F2 Phoenix in 15 knots and a 3.8m2 at West Dennis today, there is still hope that he won't give up before he gets good...

scooper said...

I felt like the article captured some of the windsurfing essence. I really enjoyed it anyway. And it was fun hearing from friends that there was some kind of a pic of me in the journal. I wasn't sure if it was going to turn out to be a joke.

It's great to hear about your son getting inspired. We should do a kids day with your family, mine, and Scott M. Although my boys interest in windsurfing is pretty unpredictable.

Anonymous said...

Unpredictable is a great way to describe my son's enthusiasm for the sport, as well as to describe the sport in general...