Sunday, January 10, 2010

Landboarding- Icicles and Brakes

Mini icicles were forming on my landboard

It was just me and the seagulls but I didn't mind. I didn't have to worry about anyone laughing at my old barge of a landboard. It's an ancient windsurfing landboard, no footstraps, but it has a primitive brake that I added for kiteboarding. I used my 3.6 trainer kite, unhooked, very safe. The brake worked great, keeping the board from turning into an unmanned missile when I fell off and giving me some speed reduction in the gusts. It was pretty challenging and a lot more fun than it deserved to be.

Nahant/ Dog Beach, Kite Landboarded, NW, 8-16, 3.6 Foil Kite, Temp 26 F, Solo

3 comments:

Scott said...

Parker and I were using a 3m trainer kite to pull us along on an inner tube up on Lake Q. It was way more fun than it had any right to be, and required a surprising amount of kite control to keep the inner tube from spinning around.

Dave C brought both a snowfer and a freeskate, but there was a little too much snow on the ice and not quite enough wind, so the conditions were less than ideal for those.

I gotta get me the cheapest snowboard I can find, with bindings that will fit my winter boots. A small kite with a snowboard on a snow-covered lake is the obvious next thing to try.

scooper said...

It's great to hear that someone else is experimenting with whatever they have around! Did the inner tube go straight downwind? Ben might want to try it.

I've been thinking about getting a snowboard too (maybe making one) but a pretty good snow kiter recently pointed out that I should take snow boarding lessons before trying to figure out snow kiting with it, too much new stuff at one time. I also sense that skiis can be a real advantage in some snow kiting conditions, like at Indian Lake that day with ice and big gusts.

I almost went to Lake Q. Too bad, it would have been nice to see Dave C. and you and Parker.

Anonymous said...

Pleas help me. I am looking since 2009 about the tires from Michelin in white and in size 62-203. Now i see the tires here.
I pay for 4 Tires in good conditions 120 Euro.
My EMail is

Stevelangweiler@yahoo.de

So thanks for helping.