Saturday, December 1, 2007

Fogland, Windsurfed, NW, 17-47, Oliver, Juan, 3 or 4 others, 4.2 & 3.5/Realwind 85, Temp 29 F. Sailed from 10-3.



You know it's windy when- Fogland looks like this. That white stuff is foam not ice, thank you.


Frosty Fogland- Here's something new. When I was derigging I noticed something slippery and white on my sails. At first I thought it might be some kind of tiny jellyfish. Then I realized that it was ice. I've never seen that before. It made it a little harder to roll up my sails. IWindsurf says the temp was 29 for most of the day but I think it was warmer around noon with the sun out. I didn't see any ice then. I can't believe that we had such a good crowd for such a cold day! It was great to have the company. I don't feel quite so crazy when there's a whole crew of guys ripping it up in the sub-freezing temps. Toasty Drysuit- I was cozy warm all day with the exception of my hands. My ski helmet liner was a must for keeping my face warm. I also wore my full neoprene hood and my helmet, of course. Feet were fine with just the 7 mil booties duct taped to my drysuit. A Shifty Character- The wind was a little shifty but it made for some good chop hopping at times. It was alternating WNW, NW, and N. The WNW was straight into port tack jumps, whether you wanted to or not. NW was port tack jump. The N was about equal for port and starboard tack jumps. The chop was surprisingly good considering the shallow water in the cove.

Bottom Picture- Ice angels formed on my board. Click on the pictures to see them large.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard core!

scooper said...

O.K. I've heard, "hard core", "nut job", and, "I guess sitting by the fire with a hot buttered rum never occured to you guys". How about just calling it an act of passion? Most people know what that feels like. They may be passionate about hot buttered rums, crackeling fires, or walking the dog, but that's just a matter of taste. I don't happen to like rum. That's why I windsurf.