Sunday, June 2, 2013

Fishing for Kiting


Plum Island/ Newburyport- This is going to be great! I'm fishing in Al's boat. We catch a bunch of mackerel. Josh reels in 2 keeper striped Bass. Now I'm getting ready to kite. I've wanted to kite off of Al's boat for a long time!

Al brings his boat close to a deserted sandbar. My gear is ready to go. I tell Al that I have my cell phone in my harness pouch. If anything goes wrong I'll call him for an early pick up. Otherwise, he'll be back in 2 hours. The wind is cranking!

I put my gear bag on my back, grab my board, and jump overboard, swim it in. I wave goodbye. Pretty sweet. I pump my kite and reach for my harness to put it on.

My harness! I look up to see Al's boat far off in the channel heading out to the ocean. Too far away to signal him. And my cell phone is with my harness. A seagull squawks nearby. It sounds like he's laughing at me.

2 hours later, my harness is right there in the boat where I left it. Al and Josh can't believe it. I'm no smarter than the bass that are in the cooler on ice. My brain is the size of a mackerel brain. It's amazing I can function at all.

But I have to forgive myself. It helps that I had a quick kiting session with Brad and Walter yesterday in Buzzards Bay. It helps that it was a sparkling day on the water today with family. Fresh bass for dinner. And my tiny little mackerel brain forgets things quickly.

If I was a fish I'd be caught by now. But I'm not a fish. That helps.


Picture- Brad kites better than a Striped Bass.

Top Picture- Al's leg is a striper.


4 comments:

Bradford Cranston said...

I know that feeling all too well.

Walter and I went back for more Sunday. Wind went up and down between 9 and 12m. Pretty darn fun flying a 12 in 9 wind.

I really like the water and color of the light in your photo. I just wish you could do something with my pale bald head.

Kitermike said...

The best layed plans! Great story!

scooper said...

Mike,Brad- Thanks guys! I hope to see you OTW soon.

cedarslodgecom said...

This blog is very nice. I really like such a fantastic written blog. I will keep coming here again and again.

Click Here