Saturday, September 1, 2012

Downwind, Upwind, and shake it all about

Chapin to Sandy Neck to Barnstable Marina to Sandy Neck to Chapin.

I have a craving for a downwinder.  I leave my bike at Barnstable Marina, launch from Chapin, stop at Sandy Neck, dead high tide. Fantastic spot! Then back to the harbor looking for slicks in the marsh, working downwind to the marina. 7 miles.

Now I have a craving for an upwinder. Stupid me. I ride the outgoing tide back to Sandy Neck, then Chapin.  The leg from Sandy Neck to Chapin, 2 1/2 miles, takes 45 minutes in ENE wind. I pick my bike up on the way home. My bike feels neglected. I was on the water for about 7 hours.

Sandy Neck- High tide has a tidal pond lined up almost perfectly in NE wind, beautiful.  Fun little waves on the sand spit at the mouth of the tidal pond. 4 hours after high tide is completley different, sculpted sand bars and shallow tidal pools everywhere, many of them lined up nicely for slicks in NE wind.

The Birds- High tide, the sand spit at the mouth of the tidal pond, they're so thick that when they take flight I feel like I'm part of their flock, my kite flying through a white cloud of beating wings.

Kitesurfed, NE, ENE, 8-22, Solo Downwinder, lots of other kiters out.


Top Pic- Tidal Pond at Sandy Neck, high tide.  Bottom Pic- Mouth of Tidal Pond.
Click for full size

0 comments: