Sunday, June 19, 2011

Boston by Bike, Kite, and Paddle

The view from middle sister, looking towards Yirrell Beach and Deer Island

Kite- Dog Beach morning, NNW was very gusty, maybe 5-25 MPH, kites were falling out of the sky at times, still fun to kite, watch Fred hit his double back roll, hang out with Paul, Colleen, Andre, Ben, Flo, others. The wind died in the afternoon but I wasn't ready to call it quits.

Bike- O.K. this is complicated. I suggest skipping it and looking at the pic instead... I left my board at Revere, parked my truck at Yirell, biked back to my board at Revere, locked my bike, paddled to Yirell, drove back to get my bike. The bike ride was 3 miles, took 30 minutes but I hugged the coast, dead ends, stairs and all.

Paddle- This was fun. I love to explore the coast! It took 1 3/4 hours but I was meandering and took a long break on one of the 5 sisters breakwaters. The only bad rocks I saw (for kiting/windsurfing) were off the point where the Seal Harbor hi-rises sit. The area around the sisters was the most interesting. There were lots of gravel bars and tidal ponds, mid tide, also a tiny shoal outside of the 2nd sister where the flat waves would rise up out of nowhere and peak in about 3' of water. Now I want to explore the sisters by kite!

0 comments: