Saturday, September 4, 2010

Windsurfing & Kiting with Baby Elephants

It was as windy and gusty as snot today! The bumps in the deep water were as big as baby elephants. I started on my smallest kite gear but I was feeling a little freaked out by the gusts so I eventually switched to my smallest windsurfing gear. After a lot of fine tuning of my ancient 3.5 sail I finally got comfortable out there. Then I couldn't stop. I went until the light ran out, a good day of punishment for my aching body.

Kiting on Light, unknown kiter

Kiteboard rescue- While I was windsurfing, I located and towed back a lost kiteboard for a fellow kitemeister. I found that towing with a long rope didn't work because the kiteboard would submarine and stop me like I had hit the emergency brake. A short tow rope worked best. The boards owner had drifted far downwind, past the windsurfing area. He was extemely appreciative to get his baby back! To the tune of a couple of cold beers. This was just my puny effort to try to improve relations between the diverging cults of windsurfing and kitesurfing.

Kitesurfed, WSW, 22-38, 7M kite/Surf 138, With Frank, Flo, Sam, Andrey, Colleen, Paul, others.

Windsurfed, WSW, 22-38, 3.5 sail/RW 85, With Sandie, others.

0 comments: