Saturday, September 19, 2009

2 Winds

Peter K Levitating at Corporation

A windsurfing wind and a kiting wind. I sailed in waves, strong wind at Corp in the AM then kited in the mellow flats at Chapin during mid/low tide in the afternoon. It was a soul satisfying day!!!

Almost a kitemare? So when I was walking my kite upwind, in knee deep water, another kiter, Dave, kited too close and crossed my kite. We both released to our safety lines, walked it in and untangled everything, no big deal in this case (light winds, shallow water, no kite spirals) but it definitely worried me. He was a newbie too, and very apologetic. I've been wondering, since I started kiting, what would happen if 2 kites crossed. Now I know. It's not pretty. In strong winds, or at the wrong location I'll bet it could be a lot more serious.

Igor- It was great to see you! Your a human weather sock. When you start showing up at Chapin again it means the windy season is coming! Bring it on.

Sagamore Bridge Repaving- The traffic was good leaving the Cape, until exit 2. Then it just stopped dead. It took 45 minutes to go the last few miles. I rummaged thru my lunch left overs, made some phone calls, and clipped my toenails while I was bumper to bumper. How often can you clip your toenails while you're driving on the highway?! The repaving is supposed to continue around the clock for the Fall and Spring.

Corporation, Windsurfed, NW 13-30, 4.2, 5.2/ RW85, with Scott, Jerry E, Jerry C (Field Pub, Cambridge), Jamie, Jeff, others.
Chapin, kitsurfed, NNW, N, 7-17, 12 M Kite, 152 Ply board, with Frank, Sandie, Igor, Dave, others.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve, did you take that photo ("Levitating")? Its a fantastic shot!

-- Mark P.

scooper said...

Mark- Yeah, I took the shot, thanks! I usually pull out the camera for a few minutes before or after a session. sometimes I get an interesting pic, somtimes not.

Snowy Guy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Snowy Guy said...

That's an excellent windsurfing photo. Are you still interested in taking windsurfers with lighthouses in the background? I found a good spot in Barnstable Harbor, but it requires a telescopic lens. As to that Sagamore back-up, on my return trip from Boston last Tuesday, I passed the snagged queue which extended to the second Sandwich exit. There was a cloud of brake dust that stank up the area even after I had left Rt. 6. It probably never clears.

scooper said...

Snowy Guy- I'm not really pursueing the lighthouse photos that much anymore. I was trying to get a good photo to submit to mags but I've been putting my creative impulses elsewhere these days. If a good enough photo happens by chance I'll submit. Thanks for the thought though.

Robert Bruce said...

It's near impossible to make a good living by photography unless you are taking beaver shots.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve:
Nice photo. That is me.
Saw you on the jetty shooting.
Peter K

scooper said...

Nice job posing in mid air. Let me know if you want the full resolution pic file.

Juan Piantino said...

Hey Steve! Fantastic photo... I knew it was PK: blue North sail, air, and the guts to go out at Corp when it's cranking...
It's getting cold again, time for the boys to get out and play. I'll try to do the all-year sailing thing here in Illinois, we'll see how that goes...
Say hi to the big Russian when you see him.
j