Saturday, August 22, 2009

Kiting- How to get Hypothermia on a Hot Summer Day

Don't wear a wetsuit, because it's a hot steamy day (85 temp?) in the middle of Summer and your kiting in a bay, then float in the water endlessly, (dead high tide), trying to waterstart in light winds.

I didn't get hypothermia but my teeth were chattering for an eternity after I finally flew the kite and made it back to the bank of seaweed shore. I covered myself in seaweed, like a blanket. By the time I had warmed up the wind had died and that was pretty much my session.

Paul drove us out there in his boat because neither of us have an ORV pass. That's a really nice way to get our own secluded launch spot. Thanks Paul!

It was fun, in spite of my struggles! Just being out on the water and doing something active makes me happy. I know I'm not normal.

Duxbury Bay, Kitesurfed, SSE, 10-15, 12 M kite, 152 ply board, with Paul.

1 comments:

Snowy Guy said...

More people in the U.S. die from excessive heat than cold. Usually, though, in states like Nebraska and the Dakota's. I've had attacks this summer due to the heat and other factors combined. When I used to run and train for 10K races, my summer activity was curtailled.