Friday, July 3, 2009

Kite Practice #2- Baby Kiters in Wack Bay

First time flying my new 12M kite- The wind was perfect for baby kiters, just enough of it to keep the kite in the sky, with active flying, but not enough to get into a lot of trouble. I practiced downwind bodydrags trying not to teabag, walking the kite back upwind, water relaunches, kite handling. I noticed that when the wind picked up the water relaunches were easy.

First time at Waquiot Bay- A torturous dirt road going in probably keeps out everyone that doesn't really want to be there. The first tiny parking lot could be a good launch for beginner windsurfers, shallow, no walk to water, safe. The second tiny parking lot is a good launch for beginner kiters, very shallow, walk to water but who care this is kiting, great fiddler crabs.

Gerry showed up to see what this kiting thing is all about. His comment after hearing a mini discourse on kite dynamics from Frank was, "it's a pretty complicated sport". I agree. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the depower strap works. Thanks again to Frank for all his help. It's fun learning a new sport!

Gerry tries my trainer kite, Don't get hooked!

Waquiot Bay, Kite Practice, Bodydragged, SE, S, WSW, 5-12, with Gerry, Frank, Scott, Ludwig, others.

1 comments:

Snowy Guy said...

>>First time flying my new 12M kite- The wind was perfect for baby kiters, just enough of it to keep the kite in the sky, with active flying, but not enough to get into a lot of trouble. I practiced downwind bodydrags trying not to teabag, walking the kite back upwind, water relaunches, kite handling. I noticed that when the wind picked up the water relaunches were easy.>> Actually, I can do all that except the water relaunches with my 3.6 Ballistic Burner. It's a Ram Air kite which I bought to increase my ice kiting power. I also think I can ride a board downwind with it. The only advantage I see with the inflatables (and it's a big one) would be the water relaunches.

>>First time at Waquiot Bay- A torturous dirt road going in probably keeps out everyone that doesn't really want to be there.<< Actually, it never seems to keep anyone out but it does keep them from coming back. >> The first tiny parking lot could be a good launch for beginner windsurfers, shallow, no walk to water, safe.<< The first lot launch has serious drawbacks for kiters. One would be that the beach there usually is crowded with siters, kayakers, jet skiers, dog owners, etc. when the weather is good. Even on windy days, it can be full of people. Second, the trees are too close to the beach and a number of people have been blown into them, sometimes with catastrophic results. >>The second tiny parking lot is a good launch for beginner kiters, very shallow, walk to water but who care this is kiting<< You can often see 15 or more kites there on the weekends. That's packed.