Sunday, July 19, 2020

Block Island or Bust

7/19/20 Pt Judith to Block Island, Bucket List trip in my little boat!

Fri Night- Boat ramp at head of Pt Judith Pond to overnight anchorage 1/2 mile out behind the sea wall in Refuge Harbor. I kinda like that smell of seagull droppings on the rocks. It makes me feel alive.

Sat- Cross to BI in fog. Start at 4:45 with lights on. I keep my speed around 8 MPH when the fog is dense. This crossing might be a little reckless. If the BI Ferry comes out of the grey emptiness directly in front of me I'm probably done. It's very eerie entering the narrow opening to New Harbor on BI by GPS with no visual confirmation. I think the island is there somewhere. I'll know it if I hit it.

The fog lifts late morning. The Great Salt Pond is a mooring field of visiting yachts as far as far can be. So many boats! I unicycle and walk around the island. It's super crowded. So many people! Where does one go to find solitude around here?




Sat Night- I enter Harbor Pond on the mid tide to anchor for the night. Aint no big boats getting in here! It takes a little boat to own a secluded pond.

Sun Morning- Early return to Pt Judith in a gathering wind. At sunrise it's already 10-15 with light fog. Slow 2 hour crossing. The wind jumps to 20 plus and heavy fog moves in a little after I return. Yikes, close call! I really pushed my limits on this trip. I got lucky. Some day my limits might push back.

0 comments: