Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Magic trick in the Newburyport Breakwater

It's a snotty, rainy, gusty day. We're kiting inside the Newburyport Breakwater, offshore wind, fierce outgoing tide. I've never kitehammered my kite hard enough to pop a valve. I decided this was a good time to start.

It's a few runs after the kitehammer when my kite starts to flutter like a wounded bird and it occurs to me that something might be wrong with it. My wounded bird hits the water belly up. Before I have time to swear more than 10 or 20 times, Jay materializes out of thin air and pulls me to shore. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Jay the Joker.

Thanks Jay! I didn't feel like visiting China today. Nor did I feel like releasing my kite and watching it float out to sea although I would have. You pulled a rabbit out of your hat by getting to me before the outgoing tide could flush me out into the great gray yonder.

After the excitement, I take a few cautious runs on Brad's 6M kite, then finish off the day on my 8m in Hampton Harbor. Some days you tame the wind. Some days the wind tames you. I'll be back though.

Note- Hampton Inlet is best in NW, W, too gusty in SW, S, N. East winds are best on oceanside.

Salisbury State Park/Newburyport breakwater, N, 15-35, 6M RPM/Mako 150, with Jay, Brad, Christophe, Jim.

Hampton Harbor/Harborside Park, 10-25, 8M Rally/Flx 138, Solo.

Top Pic- Boostin' Brad 
Bottom Pics- Jay the Joker



2 comments:

Dunoyer said...

sketchy sketch

Bradford Cranston said...

Fun sesh Steve. And as always, love the photos!