Saturday, August 25, 2007

Kalmus, Windsurfed, SSW, 10-20, 5.7/Acid94

A great forecast that didn't happen; Iwindsurf was calling for wind in the low/mid twenties for the afternoon. I had a feeling it wasn't going to happen. For one thing, it would have made 2 windy Saturdays in a row. That goes against all laws of probability for New England in the Summer. It was good wind in the morning, which I missed, then light wind all afternoon. The wind finally picked up around 5:00, accompanied by fog, and I had a blissful 1 1/2 hours of planing before I had to pack up and high tail it over to a Barby-Q for Ben's little league team, (being held conveniently in East Dennis). Never mind that I had planned on stopping at 5:00 and that I was 1 1/2 hours late for the party. It was worth it. I guess that Iwindsurf wasn't that far off on the forecast. It just came in a little later and lighter than expected.
Air Time; I got the usual chop hopppers when the wind picked up. I hit one jump that was better than the rest. I was up in the air long enough to notice that I was there. The thing that strikes me during a jump like that is the silence. One minute the board is slapping across the chop and then it's in the air and everything is quiet. It's like a freeze frame in time. One long silent second. Then the board smacks down and normal time resumes. But it's that frozen second of hang time that stays with me. It's what I'm thinking about when I'm driving home, and when I'm drifting off to sleep at the end of the day.

1 comments:

Snowy Guy said...

That looks like a rather crowded beach. I saw the fog in the sound and thought that windsurfing might be dangerous what with all the weekend warriors out on their boats and jet skiis. Since I had some good winds for a 9.6 on Friday with sunshine and warm temps, I decided not to sail.