Friday, November 1, 2013

Graveyard Shift

Call me the clean up crew. When I arrive at P Bay, most people are getting off the water. Frank, Jamie, Kristoff, and some other slackers are hanging out and talking about the day. A velvet sunset is starting to creep out from behind the city skyline. I don't have time to dawdle. It's time for the night shift to go to work.

Darkness settles in and the crowd thins down to me and 1 other kiter, Andrew, combing the glassy slicks, making sure that everything is in order, tucking the bay in for sleep. The city lights are on. The white spray thrown up by our boards marks where each kiter is in the dark.  

It's quiet time on the water. We stretch out across the blackened bay. Andrew does speed runs behind the wall, clocking 35 MPH top speed. I practice jumps near the launch area. Faint ripples trail out from our boards across the oily black surface of the water.

We are focused, efficient in our work. We don't stop until we are satisfied that the water has been thoroughly swept. Everything is clean, neat and in order. Pleasure Bay is groomed and ready for the next day. Life is as it should be. 

I land my kite. My job here is done. Working the night shift in this city is grimy, tiring work, but I take pride in what I do. I glance at the deserted beach as I pull out of the parking lot. This bay is sleeping like a lamb.

Pleasure Bay, Kitesurfed, SSW, 18-32, 12M Rally/Flx138, with Andrew.

Picture- Chris L working the sunset shift.

0 comments: