Saturday, December 4, 2010

Who Needs Wind?

First Encounter's maze of sand bars and streams lit up by the sunset

The wind started light, then got really light. I kept trading up for bigger gear. It was a shock to my system when I switched from my smallest, most maneuverable board, (surf 148x40), to my biggest, (Mad Cow 180x60). It felt like I needed a rudder to turn that big aircraft carrier but it seemed like magic how it floated me through the lulls.

Ozone Zephyr 17M LEI vs Flysurfer Speed2 15M Foil- 8-12 MPH seems to be the bottom end of the Zephyr. I really had to work it to generate power, not always successfully. I got a lot of practise relaunching. Deep water relaunch in 8-12 is a no go. I think My 15M Flysurfer has more grunt and easier relaunch (unless I collapse it). When I pull the front lines on my Flysurfer, I can hot launch it in almost no wind. The Zephyr turns faster. And did I say that the Zephyr doesn't collapse like a foil kite can? It doesn't collapse.

Happy Day- It was a surprisingly satisfying day, not sure why. Maybe it was the long sessions, good crew, beautiful beach, exercise, sunshine. Who needs wind?

First Encounter, Kitesurfed, WNW, 11-21, 8-12, 12M Royal/Surf 148, 12M Royal/ Mad Cow, 17M Zephyr/ Mad Cow, with Frank, Sammy, Andre, Colleen, Gregor, others.

3 comments:

Ron C. said...

who needs wind is right. Although not my best day of surfing, warm, motivated and no family "chores" kept me in the water 'till almost 4:45! - across town at Nauset. Still feel'n the glow 3 days lated.

RC

Ron C. said...

"later" that is

RC

scooper said...

Ron- I heard a rumor that the surf was good on Sat! You were probably cruising faster than I was in the light winds. I can feel your glow.