Thursday, July 24, 2008

TAYLORS LANE, FOGLAND, light winds

Taylors Waves- I heard from Jean that he was heading to Taylors Lane today to try to take advantage of the strong SE wind for some wavesailing. Ben went off for an early evening playdate around 4:30 and the wind was still 19 - 30 at Fogland, so I threw the boards in the truck and hit the road. No luck. By the time I got to Taylors, the wind was 10-15 and Jean had left for greener pastures. I did some light wind foolishness at Fogland, just so I could say that I had my exercise for the day. At least I got to see Taylors Lane with SE waves. They looked nice!


Fog & waves at Taylors Lane


Summer at Kalmus- A few days ago, I got a friendly comment that I'm crazy to sail at anyplace except Kalmus in the Summer. What can I say? Before we had kids, my wife and I sailed at Kalmus almost every weekend. I loved it. These days I don't sail there very often for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I just don't have enough time to make the drive. Sometimes I'm looking for waves or want to try a new spot. Today, the swell report was 8' off the coast of R.I. and the wind seemed wide spread. It would have been hard to pass that up without trying. It's that slightly scared feeling of sailing in waves, being at the edge of my ability, and wondering if I can handle it, that gives me the biggest thrill. And I know that Kalmus will be there when I get too digusted with the summertime skunks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I totally agree with your Kalmus assessment. B n F - ing at Kalmus pales in comparison to a lit sesh at a place like Taylers Lane. We're gonna get it pal, one of these days, and the beer afterwards with taste mighty sweet...

Snowy Guy said...

That guy who raved about Kalmus is full of Baloney. By the way, I took a drive down to Wood's Hole, parking at the small lot at the base of the light house. They have marked the Beach as for people with Wood's Hole permits only, restricting it to Wood's Hole residence. This is total B.S. as there are no borders to Wood's Hole, it's only a village in Falmouth as Hyannis is a village in Barnstable. Some egghead broad from the snobish institute must have created this fiction. There's a beach house attendant, though. He's a college kid that would probably not make trouble for you if you launch a windsurfer from the beach. Otherwise, anyone can park along the road. Here's the link to the thread you started which has the photo I put up of that beach.

Snowy Guy said...

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15008&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=lighthouse

scooper said...

I didn't mean to open a can of windsurfing worms regarding Kalmus. The sailor who made the comment about sailing there in the Summer is definately one of the best sailors in this area, so I always appreciate his input. In fact, the reason I put it on the blog is that I've been thinking about it. After all, I would rather be at Kalmus in windy but flat conditions than at a wave or chop site with no wind. I guess it's all just a question of priorities and trying to read the forecast for any given day.